Fallen Tree

A giant tree curving over the carriageway on the way to the visitor centre at Middleton Park has uprooted and cracked open. When the tree fell over it uprooted other young oak trees nearby. Visitors stop and look into the trunk of the fallen tree, some take splinters as a memorial. It feel inadequate to use the generic term tree. My lack of knowledge exposes my limited experience of the natural world and my urban upbringing.  When I ask park regulars what type of tree this is, they don't know either.

 


Peter, one of the park regulars tells me woodpeckers create holes in the trees in the woods and then they let in water. Patricia, another park regular tells me that once the trees water-logged they are easily uprooted.  On the way towards the Rose Garden I notice one of the larger beech trees has copper leaves at the top, whilst further down the leaves are green but brittle. I spot a tree creeper as it emerges from a tiny slit in an oak tree. A pair of squirrels chase each other around an oak tree. By the side of the Rose Garden, blue tits, chaffinch, magpies and squirrels are feasting on some fruits placed on a feeding tray. The woods are golden today, illuminated by a bright blue sky.



Comments

Popular Posts