Plantation

As I walk along the path towards John Charles sports centre, I pass football pitches. Various teams are practising their techniques, thwack, the sound of balls continually hitting concrete fills the space. In the distance, I see Bridgewater Place and the Parkinson Building at the University of Leeds: both these tall buildings look like toy towers from this distance.  I walk by the Old Run Road Playing Fields Plantation. Within the plantation, fledgling trees and hawthorn bushes stand in an open strip of land between industrial units, housing estates and a motorway. Walking through the plantation, I come across an apple tree. Sunshine illuminates the warm pallette of an autumn landscape. When I reach Hunslet Shopping Centre I’m amazed as a bee appears in the shrubbery by a pedestrian crossing, since at this time of year bees will be preparing for winter and rarely leaving their hive.

Comments

Popular Posts